Bo J. HowellAttorney
Bo Howell primarily practices in the area of securities law, with an emphasis on investment management law. He also practices in the areas of corporate law and entity formation, and general business law. Bo has extensive experience in all aspects of investment management law, including fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and compliance. He also has a wide range of experience in counseling businesses through a full range of matters, including capital structure, key contracts, and more.
Bo is also a fintech entrepreneur and his background and experience give him a unique ability to provide practical legal solutions his clients’ issues. As a lawyer and a business founder, he understands both the legal and business side of matters. He specializes in technology development, strategic leadership, team management, project management, and legal counsel to startups.
- Indiana University – Kelley School of Business, Master of Science, Finance
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude
- Washington State University, B.A., Political Science, Magna Cum Laude
Bo represents state and SEC-registered investment advisers, broker-dealers, and investment companies, both registered and unregistered. He represents various series trusts, closed-end funds, and advisers to mutual funds, ETFs, and private funds.
He also works with fintech companies that are focusing on securities and investment products. He has counseled entrepreneurs and business owners with the selection and formation of legal entities when starting, growing, or merging a business.
Bo’s previous experience includes fund administration, corporate counsel at a Fortune 500 insurance company, and serving in the SEC’s Division of Investment Management. Bo started his career as a law clerk at the Nevada Supreme Court.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Don’t Stress Over Liquidity Stress Testing, NSCP Currents, May 2015
- SEC Accounting Probes Highlight Compliance Needs, Money Management Executive, Feb. 2, 2015
- Independent Directors Need a Not-to-Do List, BoardIQ, Dec. 2, 2014
- Actively Managed ETFs: The Past, Present, and Future, Journal of Business and Securities Law, Sept, 1, 2013
- Antitrust Law: Resisting Modern Protectionism in a Global Recession, Gonzaga Journal of International Law, Feb 2010
- Hedge Funds: A New Dimension in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceedings, DePaul Business and Commercial Law Journal, Sept. 1, 2008
- Executive Fraud and Canada’s Regulation of Executive Compensation, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review, Sept 1, 2007
- SEC Rule 144A and the Global Market, Asper Review of International Business and Trade Law, 2007
Honors & Recognition
2015 Rising Star Finalist, Fund Action and Fund Directions
Investment Management Law