R. Guy TaftShareholder
R. Guy Taft concentrates his legal practice in Federal and State court litigation and appeals, particularly in the areas of intellectual property litigation (patent, trademark, copyright and counterfeiting), unlawful competition, breach of contract, fraud, partnership and shareholder disputes, advertising and First Amendment law, employment law, product liability, health care and commercial real estate disputes. Guy also served as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association in commercial and intellectual property disputes, including disputes related to the licensing of computer software.
Guy was president of the Cincinnati Bar Foundation from 2010-2012. Additionally, he served six years as a trustee on the board of the Cincinnati Bar Association, and he has been a Master of the Bench of the Potter Stewart American Inn of Court. Guy has been named a Best Lawyer® by U.S. News in the areas of commercial litigation and appellate practice, and he has received the highest possible peer review rating of AV® Preeminent™ from Martindale-Hubbell for 30 years. He also has been repeatedly recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” by Cincy Magazine and as an Ohio Super Lawyer® in the practice area of intellectual property litigation.
He served as the Continuing Legal Education Chairman for the Federal Bar Association Annual Convention in 2004, chairman of the Community Services Committee for the Cincinnati Bar Association, and chairman of the Executive Committee, the Development Committee, and the Grants Committee for the Cincinnati Bar Foundation.
Guy is co-chairman of Strauss Troy’s Litigation Department. He is a shareholder/partner of the firm and has served on its board of directors.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D., Order of the Coif)
- University of Cincinnati (B.A., with high honors)
- Lead trial counsel in prosecution of Lanham Act product disparagement case for international protective products manufacturer against primary competitor.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of wholesale grocery and drug distributor against alleged claims of product and label counterfeiting claims in Ohio and New York Federal Courts.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of national packaging products company against patent infringement claims by competitor concerning air filled packaging products.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of national manufacturer against patent infringement claims by competitor relating to mechanical and electronic aspects of production machines.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of national manufacturer against claims relating to chemical process patents (ultra-filtration technology).
- Lead trial counsel in representation of international developer of electricity and steam energy plants throughout Eastern and Central Europe on damages claims arising from breach of contract and fraud by U.S. power conglomerate for development, finance, and construction costs, and profits.
- Lead trial counsel in representation of major shareholder in breach of fiduciary duties and related claims against other dominant shareholders and directors of a major U.S. restaurant chain.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of major national bank against claims by corporate customer against the bank for reimbursement of funds embezzled by the corporation’s comptroller.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of retail company in claims of harassment and discrimination by former executive and administrative employees.
- Represented large national health insurer to take over entire provider network in Greater Cincinnati.
- Represented large health care insurer in defense of medical coverage claims.
- Lead trial counsel in representation of plaintiff consumer class against public utility for excessive natural gas charges, breach of contract and consumer law violations.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of class action by consumers against credit corporation for alleged breach of federal consumer protection laws.
- Lead trial counsel in ongoing representation of Fortune 500 billboard company against governmental attempts to shut down electronically changeable LED billboards.
- Lead trial counsel in representation of oil and gas company in defense of nuisance claims by adjacent business.
- Representation of large institutional investor in breach of contract claims against public utility relating to coal off-loading and barge transfer facility on river in Kentucky.
- Representation of municipal corporations in a variety of business matters and disputes.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of professional hockey team against breach of contract claims by coliseum owner.
- Lead trial counsel in defense of copyright and trademark infringement claims against national wholesale and retail distributor of plumbing and bathroom products in Philadelphia Federal Court.
- Lead trial counsel representing manufacturer/owner of design patent for taillight, in patent claims against former supplier.
- Represented big three car manufacturer in numerous cases involving consumer warranty claims.
- Lead trial counsel in automobile dealership franchise litigation.
- Represented major east coast university against fraud and undue influence claims by claimed beneficiary of substantial contributors to the university.
- Lead trial counsel for major commercial real estate developer in defense of claims by commercial tenant.
- Represented several employers to enforce, by injunctive relief and damages, restrictive covenants in employment and trade secret obligations owed by employees.
- Lead trial counsel representing consulting company for compensatory and punitive damages against former executives for theft of trade secrets.
- Lead trial counsel representing estate of worker killed in chemical explosion at place of employment, for wrongful death compensatory and punitive damages.
- Have served as arbitrator in claims involving alleged accounting malpractice, unfair competition claims, and commercial disputes concerning the ownership, use, and license of computer software.
Honors & Recognition
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America 2014-2021
- Ohio Super Lawyer® 2005-2010; 2012-2017; 2020-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Attorney
- “Leading Lawyer” by Cincy Magazine
- Federal | State Litigation and Appeals
- Intellectual Property Litigation (Patent, Trademark, Copyright and Counterfeiting)
- Constitutional Law focusing on First Amendment rights and Fifth and 14th Amendment property rights
- Unlawful Competition
- Breach of Contract
- Partnership | Shareholder Disputes
- Advertising and First Amendment Law
- Employment Law
- Product Liability
- Health Care