Robert R. SparksShareholder
Rob Sparks is a member of the Strauss Troy litigation practice group. He concentrates his practice in civil trial and appellate practice in the areas of consumer class actions, consumer fraud, securities and investment fraud, corporate governance, insurance litigation, and insurance and brokerage matters.
Rob has represented people and businesses harmed by fraud and unscrupulous business practices in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Northern Kentucky University Salmon P. Chase College of Law (J.D.)
- Northern Kentucky University (B.A.)
- Representing a class of debtors in bankruptcy court against a financial institution for violation of the discharge injunction in which the Court certified a litigated class and later approved a class action settlement.
- Co-lead counsel in federal court in Texas representing a class of life insurance policyowners challenging an insurer’s attempt to increase cost of insurance charges in the life insurance contract.
- Representing a class of taxpayers challenging the state’s practice of collecting sales taxes.
- Representing investors in derivative actions, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, and corporate governance matters in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Representing elderly investors in a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme involving the sale of life insurance as an investment.
- Representing about 70 investors in a $100 million real estate Ponzi scheme which involved litigation and mediation in state court, federal court, and in mandatory arbitration. The representation also included negotiations with state and federal regulators investigating the Ponzi scheme. Part of the representation included obtaining a favorable unfair business practices award after a two-week arbitration for 20 investors against a major regional bank.
- Representing people harmed when an insurance company changed the benefit definition in a supplemental insurance policy in an attempt to reduce benefits to policyowners and save millions for the insurance company.
- Representing investors in FINRA arbitrations against their broker, brokerage firm and insurers.
- Representing individuals and classes against mortgage lenders and servicers for predatory lending practices, unfair and improper fees and charges, and breach of contract.
- Court-appointed lead class action counsel in a number of certified nationwide ERISA and insurance litigation cases.
- Lead counsel in numerous nationwide settlement class actions.
- Counsel on various multi-district litigation matters consolidated by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Planning for your family’s future: Is your life insurance sufficient?
- Claims, Class Actions, and Arbitration Clauses, 14th Biennial Consumer Bankruptcy Law Conference, University of Kentucky College of Law, 2018
- FDCPA/FCRA Class Actions: Strategies and Pitfalls, American Bankruptcy Institute, Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, Panelist, 2017.
- Comment – A Survey of Kentucky Tort Reform, 17 N. Ky. L. Rev. 473 – 1990
Honors & Recognition
- Kentucky Super Lawyer®, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Attorney
- Class Action Litigation
- Life and Health Insurance
- Automobile Insurance
- ERISA Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Multi-District Litigation
- Class Actions
- Appellate Practice