Theresa L. NelsonShareholder
Theresa Nelson’s practice focuses on representing clients in complex labor & employment, commercial, product liability and general civil litigation. She has represented clients throughout the country in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. Theresa’s high level of trial experience comes from conducting numerous jury and bench trials as the lead attorney responsible for all facets of the trial.
She represents and defends clients in a wide range of employment-related disputes including wrongful discharge, breach of contract including non-competition agreements, wage and hour, harassment, discrimination, disability accommodation, FMLA, negligent hiring and retention, trade secrets, misappropriation of intellectual property rights, unfair competition, and retaliatory discharge.
Theresa also represents clients in complex civil and commercial disputes including construction, contract, product liability and wrongful death claims. In addition to her time spent in a courtroom, Theresa often represents business owners, employees and individuals in a broad range of matters through arbitration, mediation and before administrative agencies.
Her litigation experience does not end with the trial court as she often represents clients in post-trial or administrative appeals, taking the lead on drafting briefs and presenting oral arguments.
Theresa uses her trial experience to provide her clients with pragmatic counsel and guidance to mitigate risk, avoid litigation and help her clients effectively manage their businesses. She counsels her clients on preventative labor and employment practices, drafts appropriate documentation, contracts, policies and procedures, and assists her clients with implementing appropriate policies and procedures.
- University of Cincinnati, Taft College of Law (J.D. and Fellowship from the Glenn M. Weaver Institute for Law and Psychiatry)
- Ohio University (B.A.)
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Author of Ohio Personal Injury Practice (Baldwin’s Ohio Handbook Series) for Thomson Reuters Publishing
- “Workplace Intentional Tort Claims in Ohio. Looking Back, Ahead.” Cincinnati Bar Association CBA Report feature article, (October 2011)
- “What You Should Know About ‘Fracking’ in Ohio.” Ohio State Bar Association “Law You Can Use,” (April 2012)
- “Federal Tort Claims Act Allows Certain Claims To Be Brought against U.S. Government.” Ohio State Bar Association, “Law You Can Use,” (October 2012)
Honors & Recognition
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2010, 2012-2017
- Super Lawyer 2016
- Cincy Magazine Leading Lawyer: 2015-2016
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Lifetime Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The Cincinnati Bar Association: Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) Class XV
- Business | Corporate Law
- Commercial Litigation
- General Complex Litigation
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Product Liability
- State and Federal Court Litigation