Christopher S. HoustonAttorney
Christopher “Kit” Houston focuses his practice in the areas of real estate, commercial, and municipal law. Kit has handled numerous cases in federal and state court dealing with a vast-range of legal disputes including: breach of contract; First Amendment law; collections; construction; personal injury; consumer claims, and many other areas where his clients encounter legal challenges in either their personal lives or business activities. Kit has spent substantial time working with financial institutions to protect their interests in distressed loans, both in state court and bankruptcy court.
Kit has significant first-chair trial experience and strives to obtain fast and efficient results for his clients, whether at trial, through motions practice, mediation, arbitration—or even avoiding the judicial process all together.
Kit’s experience isn’t limited to the courtroom. He also routinely represents many clients in the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of real estate. He is the vice president of Security Title and Guaranty Agency, Inc., Strauss Troy’s title insurance agency, and also serves as the Village solicitor of a local municipality where he has successfully assisted the Village in implementing new economic development initiatives. Additionally, he has advised oil and gas exploration companies on issues related to the development of the Utica Shale.
An experienced pilot, Kit holds his multi-engine commercial certificate, as well as various flight instructor ratings. His FAR 121 experience makes him the ideal attorney for any aviation issue.
- University of Cincinnati, Taft College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Tennessee, B.A., cum laude
- Counsel for Fortune 500 billboard company against environmental and governmental organizations in regard to permitting of electronically changeable LED billboards.
- Represented commercial developer with purchase, due diligence and development of more than 100 parcels in an eight state region.
- Collected hundreds of thousands of dollars in delinquent accounts for pharmaceutical company selling product throughout the continental United States.
- Handled various commercial foreclosures for notes in excess of $1,000,000.
- Represented a landlord in litigation with a tenant over a $450,000 buy-sell, and settled the same for an agreed price of more than 160% of the appraised value.
- Handled numerous closings for commercial and residential properties.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Review of Oil & Gas Law XXVII, Dallas Bar Association, 2012 (co-authored written material and served as lecture panel member for Ohio law).
Honors & Recognition
2016-2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- State and federal court litigation and appeals, involving creditor’s rights, common law and UCC breach of contract claims, aviation, advertising and First Amendment law
- Personal injury
- Title insurance
- Banking and secured finance
- Consumer law
- General commercial litigation
- Commercial and residential real estate