Christopher S. HoustonAttorney
Christopher “Kit” Houston focuses his practice in the areas of real estate, commercial, and municipal law. Kit has been designated an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star each year from 2016 through 2018 – a distinction awarded to only 2.5% of all attorneys in Ohio under the age of 40. As a member of Strauss Troy’s litigation department, Kit handles federal and state court litigation matters, for both Plaintiffs and Defendants, dealing with a vast range of legal disputes involving commercial real estate, construction, breach of contract, fraud, partnership and shareholder disputes, products liability, securities fraud, consumer fraud, advertising and First Amendment law, class action litigation, and other complex multi-district litigation. Kit has significant first-chair trial experience and strives to obtain fast and efficient results for his clients, whether at trial, through motions practice, mediation, arbitration—or even avoiding the judicial process all together.
Kit also serves as general counsel for many of his business clients where he provides legal advice on all issues affecting their growing market shares, including issues related to federal and state regulatory compliance, unfair competition, corporate governance, perfection and priority of security interests, contractual negotiations, preparation of contracts for the purchase and/or transportation of various types of goods in numerous jurisdictions, as well as in the acquisition, development, leasing, and sale of real estate. Kit is also experienced in title related matters and serves as the vice president of Security Title and Guaranty Agency, Inc., Strauss Troy’s title insurance agency.
Similar to his counseling of private sector clients, Kit serves as the Village Solicitor of a local municipality where he provides legal guidance to the village in all aspects of government representation and governance.
Prior to joining Strauss Troy, Kit advised oil and gas exploration companies on issues related to the development of the Utica Shale. Kit also holds his commercial multi-engine pilot certificate, as well as various flight instructor and other ratings. His FAR 121 experience combined with his knowledge of avionics and the aviation industry makes him the ideal attorney for any aviation issue.
- University of Cincinnati, Taft College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Tennessee, B.A., cum laude
- Counsel for Fortune 500 billboard company against environmental and governmental organizations in regard to permitting of electronically changeable LED billboards.
- Counsel for business client on a range of legal matters affecting its seven entities selling and transporting goods from warehouses in a seven state region.
- Class counsel for various consumer related matters.
- Collected hundreds of thousands of dollars in delinquent accounts for a pharmaceutical company selling products throughout the continental United States.
- Assists clients with navigating public bidding requirements.
- Counsel for commercial developer with purchase, due diligence and development of more than 100 parcels in an eight state region.
- Represented a landlord in litigation with a tenant over a $450,000 buy/sell agreement, and settled the same for an agreed price of more than 160% of the appraised value.
- Handled various commercial foreclosures for notes in excess of $1,000,000.
- Counsel for various regional banks in multiple loan transactions and restructurings of troubled loans.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Review of Oil & Gas Law XXVII, Dallas Bar Association, 2012 (co-authored written material and served as lecture panel member for Ohio law).
Honors & Recognition
2016-2018 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Commercial and residential real estate
- Title insurance
- Banking and secured finance
- State and federal court litigation and appeals