Christopher S. HoustonAttorney
Christopher “Kit” Houston focuses his practice in the areas of real estate, commercial, and municipal law. Kit has been designated an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star each year from 2016 through 2018 – a distinction awarded to only 2.5% of all attorneys in Ohio under the age of 40. Kit routinely represents clients in the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of real estate, and is the vice president of Security Title and Guaranty Agency, Inc., Strauss Troy’s title insurance agency. Kit serves as the Village solicitor of a local municipality where he has successfully assisted the Village in implementing new economic development initiatives. Prior to joining Strauss Troy, Kit advised oil and gas exploration companies on issues related to the development of the Utica Shale.
When necessary, Kit is equipped to handle his clients’ litigation needs. Kit has handled numerous cases in federal and state court dealing with a vast range of legal disputes including breach of leases, breach of buy/sell agreements, eminent domain actions, and other matters involving real property and commercial issues. Kit has significant first-chair trial experience and strives to obtain fast and efficient results for his clients, whether at trial, through motions practice, mediation, arbitration—or even avoiding the judicial process all together.
An experienced pilot, Kit holds his multi-engine commercial certificate, as well as various flight instructor ratings. His FAR 121 experience makes him the ideal attorney for any aviation issue.
- University of Cincinnati, Taft College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Tennessee, B.A., cum laude
- Represented commercial developer with purchase, due diligence and development of more than 100 parcels in an eight state region.
- Assisted clients in negotiating and preparing leases for retail establishments.
- Handled numerous closings for commercial and residential properties.
- Represented a landlord in litigation with a tenant over a $450,000 buy/sell agreement, and settled the same for an agreed price of more than 160% of the appraised value.
- Collected hundreds of thousands of dollars in delinquent accounts for a pharmaceutical company selling products throughout the continental United States.
- Counsel for Fortune 500 billboard company against environmental and governmental organizations in regard to permitting of electronically changeable LED billboards.
- Handled various commercial foreclosures for notes in excess of $1,000,000.
- Represented a regional bank in multiple loan transactions and restructurings of troubled loans.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Review of Oil & Gas Law XXVII, Dallas Bar Association, 2012 (co-authored written material and served as lecture panel member for Ohio law).
Honors & Recognition
2016-2018 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Commercial and residential real estate
- Title insurance
- Banking and secured finance
- State and federal court litigation and appeals