Stephen S. SchmidtShareholder
Steve Schmidt is a litigator and business advisor who focuses his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, construction litigation, employment litigation and tort law.
As a member of Strauss Troy’s litigation group, Steve represents and advises clients across a variety of industries in both commercial and consumer disputes, including non-compete, trade secret, insurance coverage, and construction disputes. He also assists clients on contract drafting and negotiation and corporate compliance, and handles matters involving breaches of contract, asset recovery and a range of business torts.
He counsels clients ranging from Fortune 500 Companies to small businesses and individuals, and quickly shifts to achieve results to best serve his clients in any circumstance. He routinely serves as outside general counsel for several closely held companies in a variety of industries (e.g. real estate developers and technology consulting companies).
While at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Steve served on the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, and the Moot Court Negotiation Team, where he advanced to the National Finals of the American Bar Association Sponsored Competition.
- Washington University in St. Louis, B.A.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
- Successfully secured both a preliminary and permanent injunction and ultimate settlement for client related to trade secret and employee poaching adverse to competitor
- Resolved multi-million dollar AAA contract and tort dispute related to alleged enterprise software failure
- Successfully obtained full insurance coverage under commercial policy in blended tort and contractual breach claim involving high-stakes faulty services allegations
- Secured appellate affirmed summary judgment and fee award related to subdivision property development
- Obtained summary judgment for real estate developer on various tort claims asserted related to the construction of a new home
- Successfully defended employer against tortious interference and trade secret claims asserted by competitor
- Defeated an injunction and achieved quick resolution for a real estate developer accused of fraud and slander of title in dispute over rights to exercise purchase options
- Experienced first chair litigator and advisor in a wide range of industries and sectors, including insurance coverage and defense, financial services, real estate, and direct corporate representation in both state and federal courts, including state appellate courts in Ohio and Kentucky
- Banking | Financial Services
- Commercial Development | Real Estate
- Professional Services
- Business Litigation
- Competition and Trade Secret Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Employment Litigation