William K. FlynnShareholder
Bill Flynn’s career as litigation and trial counsel covers a wide cross-section of state and federal business, investment fraud, and other commercial related disputes. This work includes class-actions, multi-party and other complex litigation involving federal and state securities laws, shareholder derivative actions involving officer and director fiduciary duties and related corporate governance issues. He is well-known for his experience in the financial services sector as a strong advocate for investors and has recovered millions of dollars lost to fraudulent or unsuitable sales practices, professional negligence and regulatory violations.
He also represents broker-dealers and registered representatives, financial advisors and other fiduciaries in the defense of customer claims and broker employment related claims, as well as other employers and executives in the prosecution and defense of claims involving competitive restrictions, as well as defending against state and federal enforcement actions.
Bill’s general business counsel experience includes long-time general counsel of a multi-state specialty retailer and one of the region’s largest real estate brokerages, as well as marketing, manufacturing, supply, distribution and sales businesses, waste collection and management, financial, insurance agency, mechanical, construction, architectural software sales and marketing, alarm service, editorial and publishing service providers, and franchised and independent automobile dealers.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D.)
- Miami University (B.A.)
- Recovered more than $10 million in arbitrated or litigated financial service related disputes for retail and institutional customers.
- Plaintiffs’ class counsel in more than 20 federal and state class and derivative actions, including lead trial counsel in damage and injunctive actions, as well as co-counsel participation in dozens of other shareholder actions across the country resulting in recoveries of hundred of millions in shareholder damages.
- Lead trial counsel for Chapter 7 trustee in damages action against former public company officers and directors.
- Representation of a liquidating banking regulator in litigated bank officer and director claims.
- Representation of a regulated multi-state health insurance carrier in the insolvency of a contracted managed care organization and subsequent wind-down of state operations.
- Defense of purchase contract, and other claims, on behalf of one of the region’s largest residential real estate brokerage firms and defense of product, personal injury, and property damage claims on behalf of a large multi-state alarm services provider.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Prudent Diversification, National Advisors Trust Newsletter, February 2011
- Historical Perspectives on Fiduciary Duties and A Uniform Standard, presented to Cincinnati Chapter National Association Personal Financial Advisors, November 2010
- Wall Street’s Sub-Prime Melt Down Hits Main Street, Impact, Winter 2008
- Fiduciary Investing and Asset Diversification, Impact, Spring 2006
- Arbitration Remedies for Investors, Impact, Winter 2004
- Protecting Yourself Against Investment Fraud, Impact, Volume 11, Issue 1
- Class Actions and Federal Rule 23, NLI CLE presenter
Honors & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Attorney
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio Outstanding Service Award
- Mariemont City Schools Distinguished Service Award
- State and federal court and complex litigation
- Securities and investment fraud
- Shareholder derivative and class actions
- Officer and director fiduciary duties and shareholder rights
- Broker-dealer, advisor, fiduciary and other investment practices
- Professional services employment disputes
- Real estate brokerage and agency claims
- Business torts, operations, acquisitions and sales, and commercial dispute resolution