Thomas L. StachlerShareholder
Tom Stachler is a partner and a member of his firm’s litigation department. He concentrates his practice in civil litigation, with a primary focus on the prosecution and defending of cases involving manufacturers’ representatives of process and industrial products and other individuals and companies with disputes in construction, real estate, products liability and healthcare provider litigation. Tom has nearly 25 years of trial experience and has handled cases in both state and federal courts nationwide.
He is a frequent lecturer on various topics concerning civil litigation and trial practice. In addition, over the last 15 years he has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Cincinnati, College of Law where he teaches Trial Practice and Pretrial Litigation.
Tom has consistently been listed in the Guide to Best Lawyers in America and Ohio Super Lawyers.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D.)
- Centre College (B.S. )
- Successfully represented the plaintiffs in a products liability case against a major international medical device manufacturer, which was commenced in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Western Division. The case settled upon favorable terms for the plaintiffs in 2010 prior to the commencement of trial and after Plaintiffs prevailed upon numerous motions filed by the Defendant.
- Successfully represented several defendants in a will contest case, which went to trial in October of 2004 in Newport Kentucky state court. After nine days of jury trial, the parties settled all claims upon very favorable terms for the defendants.
- Successfully represented the plaintiffs in a very complex medical malpractice/wrongful death case involving the untimely death of an eight-year old girl. The case resulted in a 28-day jury trial against multiple defendants in Montgomery County, Ohio state court, and eventually settled upon favorable grounds for the clients in 2003 in a companion case that was brought in the Ohio Court of Claims.
- Successfully represented the plaintiffs in a medical malpractice case against a OB/GYN and his practice group. The case resulted in a nine-day jury trial in Hamilton County, Ohio state court in 2001 and resulted in a substantial verdict for the plaintiffs.
- Successfully represented the plaintiff, a surviving spouse, in a medical malpractice/wrongful death case that was tried in the Ohio Court of Claims. After an eight day bench trial in 2000, the judge found in favor of the plaintiff on the issue of liability. Thereafter, the parties settled upon favorable terms for the plaintiff.
- Successfully represented the plaintiff upon claims arising out of an automobile accident. After a 10-day jury trial in Hamilton County Ohio state court in the spring of 1999, the jury returned a favorable verdict for the plaintiff, which included substantial compensatory damages, punitive damages, and an award of attorneys’ fees against the defendant.
- In 1999, successfully represented a plaintiff who asserted personal injury claims arising out of a serious automobile accident in binding arbitration. The case proceeded to hearing as required by the applicable insurance policy and resulted in a substantial six-figure arbitration award for the plaintiff.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- “Witness Preparation and Deposition,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Cincinnati, Ohio March 27, 2011.
- Shawn M. Young, Thomas L. Stachler and Charles H. Melville, How Far Apart Are We? Determining Your Odds of Winning, AGENCY SALES, Apr. 2010, 31.
- Editorial Advisory Board for Osowski, Beth D. Trial Preparation Tools (James Publishing, Inc. 1st ed. 2009).
- “Witness Preparation and Interviews – Don’t Miss the Boat,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Cincinnati, Ohio, March 27, 2009.
- “Safeguard Your Business With Effective Monitoring of Employees’ Use of Company Computers and Other Electronic Devices,” IMPACT Newsletter, Fall 2008, Volume 10, Issue 3.
- “Top Tips for Taking Depositions,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Cincinnati, Ohio, July 23, 2008.
- “Current Legal Issues of Interest to Manufacturers’ Representatives,” Manufacturers’ Agents of Cincinnati (MAC), a local chapter of the Manufacturers’ Agents National Association (MANA), Cincinnati, Ohio, February 8, 2008.
- “The Legal Pitfalls of Nursing-How to Protect Yourself,” Greater Cincinnati Chapter of the American Association Critical Care Nursing, Cincinnati, Ohio, April 13, 2007.
- “Electronic Evidence,” Manufacturers’ Agents of Cincinnati (MAC), a local chapter of the Manufacturers’ Agents National Association (MANA), Cincinnati, Ohio, February 9, 2007.
- “Electronic and Demonstrative Evidence in Civil Trials,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Cincinnati, Ohio, March 31, 2006.
- “Civil Trial from Start to Finish: A Practical Approach to Trying a Civil Case in Ohio,” National Business Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, December 15, 2005.
- “How to be an Expert at Being an Expert,” Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center, Department of Otolaryngology Residency Program, Cincinnati, Ohio, February 6, 2002.
- “The Pitfalls of Electronic Evidence,” IMPACT Newsletter, Summer 2000.
- “The Fundamentals: Techniques for Success in Civil Litigation in Ohio,” Lorman Education Services, Cincinnati, Ohio, February 25, 2000.
- Author: Case Note, “Repose v. Right-to-a-Remedy: Physician vs. Patient Under the Ohio Constitution,” 57 University of Cincinnati Law Review 423, 1988.
Honors & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Attorney
- Guide to Best Lawyers in America 2004 – Present
- Ohio Super Lawyers 2004 – Present
- University of Cincinnati Law Review, Student Articles Editor 1988-1989
- University of Cincinnati Law Review 1987-1989
- American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Trial Practice Recipient 1989
- Henry A. Morrill Prize for Excellence in Constitutional Law Recipient 1989
- Manufacturers’ representatives
- Products liability
- Professional malpractice
- Real Estate
- Complex and Multi-District Commercial Litigation,
- Personal Injury, including products liability and malpractice