Stephen E. SchillingAssociate
Steve Schilling joined Strauss Troy in 2012 after serving as a Law Clerk to Federal District Judge Michael R. Barrett, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio. Steve has since used the wealth of experience he amassed during his time working in the courthouse to represent a wide variety of clients in federal and state courts throughout Ohio.
Steve’s work focuses on complex civil litigation, both on the appellate and trial-court levels. He has experience in virtually every facet of the litigation process from motion practice, through discovery, to final resolution via settlement, trial or appeal. Steve is especially known for comprehensive analysis of difficult legal questions and his ability to distill complicated legal issues into winning motions and briefs.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Pittsburgh (B.A.)
- Successful defense against a motion to remand from federal to state court: Berkowitz v. Brahma Inv. Group, Inc., No 1:14-cv-543, 2014 WL 4206946 (S.D. Ohio Aug 24, 2014)
- Successful defense against a motion to exclude a critical expert witness: Dominion Liquid Technologies, LLC v. GT Beverage Co, LLC, No 1:11-cv-444, 2014 WL 2918692 (S.D. Ohio June 26, 2014)
- Successful on grant of summary judgement against claims under Ohio’s Lemon Law, the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act, and the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act; Martin v. Kings Ford, Inc., 1st Dist. Hamilton No C-140252, 2015-Ohio-409.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Defamation Statute of Limitations: Act Quickly Before It’s Too Late
- Colvin v. Brunner: The Shifting Definition of “Qualified Elector” and Voter Fraud in Ohio, University of Dayton Law Review, 35 U. Dayton L. Rev. 247
- How to Win a CALI Award: Some Personal Advice from Two Law Students Who Have Done It, University of Dayton Law Review, 36 U. Dayton L. Rev. 167
- Ambiguity and Bad Policy: Should § 546(e) of the Bankruptcy Code be Applied to Leveraged Buyouts of Private Companies?, DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal, 9 DePaul Bus. & Com. L.J. 471
Honors & Recognition
Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013 – 2017
CALI Excellence for the Future Awards (awarded for highest grade) in Legislation, Intellectual Property, Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Professional Responsibility and Creditor’s Rights
- Federal litigation
- Mediation and settlement negotiations