C. Richard ColvinChair
Corporate | Business Practice Group
Richard Colvin serves as chair of Strauss Troy’s Corporate | Business Practice Group. He practices in the areas of corporate law, business law and business litigation. He has broad experience in corporate transactions including, but not limited to, corporate organization, tax free reorganizations, contract negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, and private entity formations.
Richard also has extensive business litigation experience, including shareholder derivative cases, litigation arising from business breakups and joint ventures, breach of contract, non-compete agreements and title defense matters.
- Northern Kentucky University Salmon P. Chase College of Law (J.D.)
- Transylvania University (B.A., cum laude)
- Represented multi-state corporation in tax-free reorganization of operation into separate organizations.
- Represented large regional corporation in multi-million dollar acquisition of related business.
- Represented multi-state group of franchisees selling franchises back to corporate franchisor.
- Represented an organization in a private equity raise and subsequent financing arrangements,
- Represented minority shareholders in a breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract case adverse to a large international organization who was majority shareholder in the company. The case settled successfully with favorable terms for the plaintiffs prior to trial.
- Represented a member of a joint venture in the breakup and recovery of the corporate assets against the joint venture partner. The case was successfully tried and our client received a favorable verdict, which was affirmed by the Court of Appeals.
- Represented a minority shareholder plaintiff in a breach of fiduciary duty case versus other shareholders of a large national organization which was closely held. The case was settled favorably prior to the commencement of trial.
- Represented numerous title companies in a nationally-known title defense matter, in which a Northern Kentucky builder absconded with tens of millions of dollars. The case was settled upon favorable terms whereby our client paid a very small portion of the resolution of the resulting class action.
- Represented the mortgage holder in a title insurance matter over a substantial dispute as to the validity of a multi-million dollar mortgage. Our client was successful at the trial court level.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Organizational Planning
- Business Litigation
- Title Insurance Defense